2009 Local Sailing Trips

2010 Local Sailing Trips

2011 Local Sailing Trips

2012 Local Sailing Trips


January 27th - 29th

Linda was able to take a vacation day on Friday so we could spend two nights in Seattle. We had never been to the Bell Harbor Marina. I had provisioned Helios the day before so it was just a change of clothes and our electronic toys, and we were ready to go on Friday. We untied and motored over to the gas dock to top off the tanks, as I don't really like having a 1/2 tank during the winter months, since it has a tendency to form condensation and water in the fuel tank. We left the marina and headed towards Colvos Passage in the fog. It was a good chance to use the AIS and radar. When we arrived at the south end of Colvos the fog began to lift and we had a wonderful trip. We didn't even take the sail covers off, since the wind never got above 4 knots. We entered Bell Harbor Marina around 1:00, after talking with Lester Dent on the VHF to confirm our slip assignment, and that we needed to back in for a starboard tie. The starboard tie wasn't greeted with great approval from the crew, as Linda had to shift everything from the port to starboard side. Once we were in our slip it was very nice since our view from the galley table forward was of the Seattle skyline. We spent the afternoon visiting with some of the other TYC members that were already there. Joe and Cheryl Guizzetti were meeting us for dinner at Cutter's, and offered to swing by and pick us up so we didn't have to walk uphill from the waterfront to the restaurant. While at dinner we made arrangements to have them pick us up Saturday morning and the four of us would take in the boat show at Century Link field. It was a quiet night aboard and after coffee and breakfast and a little clean up we headed up to Alaskan Way to meet Joe and Cheryl. Joe and I had a great time and the girls enjoyed themselves and making fun of the two of us. We were back at the boat around 4:30 and found out that our friends Brett and Connie were on another members boat visiting. We invited them to join Joe and Cheryl and us for dinner at Anthony's. The restaurant had set aside an area for TYC. We ended up at a 6 person table which worked, as you can see from the pictures below.


Things broke up around 9:30 and Brett and Connie headed back to Puyallup, while Joe and Cheryl went to their Seattle condo a few blocks away. We were back down to the boat, and noticed that the weather had changed and we were getting a light rain. During the night we could hear the rain hitting the deck and knew it would be a different ride home compared to the wonderful ride getting here. The tide was going to be high at 8:40 in the morning so we thought we would head out around 9:30, which would give the water time to flatten out a little with wind and the ebb tide going in the same direction. The wind was blowing between 20 - 25 knots when we left the marina, which made for a sloppy ride. We got everything fastened down and the side curtains down, so it was fairly pleasant. We motored over to the top of Colvos Passage and traveled down the east side close to Vashon Island so that the island could provide somewhat of a wind break. The water was flat and the wind lessened in force as we got closer to Tacoma. I pulled over to the shoreline between Owens beach and the marina, so that the land was providing a wind break and Linda shifted everything from the starboard to port, so that we could tie up to our slip. We were tied up, things put away and walking towards the car a little before 2:00.  It was a fun weekend.